This is a guest video/post from Chris Rockett at Music Marketing Classroom.
Notes from the video...
Email Marketing in a Nutshell
- Get fans on the email list, entertain them on a regular basis, and then link to something they can buy.
- Start off with low priced products (downloadable songs, for example) and move people up the ladder to higher priced items.
When to Send Your Emails?
- Use your email service provider to schedule your emails to go out at 4:30am, so that you’re there when people first check their messages in the morning.
- If you want to send two emails per week Tuesday and Thursday are good because Monday is a busy email day and people are a little bit distracted on Friday.
Ideas for Your Subject Line
- Use odd looking numbers - “Why did this video get 53,345 views?”
- Ask a question - “Did You See This?”
- Stack the value with brackets - “My Guitar Got Set On Fire! [Video Inside]"
- If you send two messages in a week send the second with the same subject line as a reply - “RE: Why did this video get 53,345 views?”
- Use the words YOU and YOUR in the subject line - “Your FREE Tickets...”
- Old favorites: Try out “Thank You” and “I’m in love...”
Increasing the Clickthrough Rate in Your Emails
- Keep your emails short and sweet - people may get bored and hit delete if you send something massive.
- Make each email about one topic to keep your fans focused on the message.
- Make sure that you include a PS because people sometimes skip the rest of the message and just read that.
- Have three links per email. One after the first line, one in the middle and the last one after the PS.
- Including an image in your email that looks like a video increases the chance of a click.
- If you want to send people to a blog post then consider pasting the text into the email itself.
Creating Customer Happiness
- Instantly send fans an email after they pay with detailed instructions on how to get their thing. Make it “Homer Simpson” simple and give them your email address to contact you if they have any problems. (Also consider making a ScreenR video to show then how to access the product)
- Surprise and delight your fans with bonuses and freebies they did not expect. (Remember the FRENCH CHEF!!!)
- Set up Survey Monkey to get an idea of how your fans found their experience with you and continue to create more and more happiness.