As we're in the first week of a new year, a couple of days ago, I talked about How to Reach Your Music Business Goals in 2012. If you've gone through that exercise, perhaps you've asked yourself, "Are my music business dreams attainable possibilities or just wishful thinking?"
If your answer is "wishful thinking," there are ways you can take your dreams out of that category and put them into the realm of possibility by using the following strategies...
1. Want it for the right reasons.
Before you go off chasing a big dreams, stop and ask yourself, "Is this what I personally want?" Sometimes, it’s so easy to get caught up in what your family wants or what society dictates that you lose sight of what’s important to you.
- Stop and think about how your life would change if you achieved your goal.
- Tweak things so they are exactly what you want; not what your parents want, your spouse wants, or society wants.
- Consider if the end result is worth all that you'll be required to do.
2. Take small bites.
Once you’ve decided that your music dream is really yours, you’ll need to create a game plan for achieving it. A big part of that is to break down your humongous goal into smaller, more attainable goals.
- If turning your dream into reality has large costs, break down the expenses into smaller amounts that your income can accommodate over time.
- If your goal entails great personal changes, divide these changes into a series of small, achievable steps that will lead you closer and closer to your goal.
- Set realistic targets for achieving the mini-goals and hit them! This can be done via the 10-goal technique I referenced in How to Reach Your Music Business Goals in 2012. I also have a system called Move Your Music Forward - Goal Achievement System for Musicians, Songwriters, and Music Business Professionals, if you're looking for something a bit more fancy.
As the saying goes, "No man is an island." Take advantage of the knowledge, skills, help, and support of others around you to help you meet your goals.
- Seek mentors that have already met goals similar to yours.
- Find out how others who have been in similar situations to yours have overcome challenges to meet their goals.
Most successful people will tell you of sacrifices they had to make in order to attain their goals. Turning big dreams into reality takes time and effort, but the end result is that you'll be able to live the life you desire. However, if you continue to do things the same way you always have, you can only expect to get the same result!
- Do you have spending habits that are hindering your progress toward your goals? Put some frivolous expenses on the back bench in favor of expenses that are directly tied in with your dreams.
- In order to bring some time into your schedule to work on your goals, perhaps you could substitute some of the time you spend watching TV, mindlessly surfing the Web, or playing video games with actions that lead you closer to your goal.
There’s no reason why you can’t turn your music business dreams into reality. You’re the only person who dictates whether or not what you want is possible. So do it!