I want to try something new and, if you're interested, you need to let me know right now.
I recently met this guy, I'll call him Mr. X, whom is an expert on the subject of creativity. His background is in visual art (painting, drawing, etc) and the majority of what he does focuses on these mediums, but he is highly sought-after by artists of all types when it comes to them enhancing their ability to be creative.
A few days ago, he was explaining to me some things about the mind and how it works when coming up with new ideas. As he was doing this, I was thinking, "This would work great for songwriters."
After 100+ episodes of Music Business Radio, many with top songwriters, this is what I know about songwriting...
- Writers block happens...sometimes a lot.
- There are only a few subjects people want to hear about. The big one is love.
- The real skill in coming up with a hit song is saying something which has already been said and is familiar to people, but doing it in a new way.
- A small group of very talented songwriters gets the majority of the album cuts and singles, so you have to be exceptionally good at expressing yourself and "painting the picture" with your lyrics, if you want to compete with them and have any success.
As a visual artist, "painting the picture" is what this guy does...literally. But he's in the same situation any songwriter is...he has to tell a heartfelt, emotional story with very limited space. Every stoke of the brush matters for him, just like every word and note matters for you.
Ask yourself this... Wouldn't it be great if you could:
- Eliminate "Blocks" in Your Writing - No More Staring at a Blank Piece of Paper!
- Instantly Come Up with New and Unique Ways of Expressing a Familiar Theme?
- Finish Entire Songs in Just Minutes...Not Hours, Days, or Weeks
These techniques have worked for painters, illustrators, and other visual artists and I'm convinced they'll work for you and apply to your songwriting.
Here's the deal...
Normally, these "Creativity Workshops" are about $500 to attend. This version of it will be brand new though, with all new curriculum created just for songwriters. In short, it will be a "beta test" and we'll be working out a few kinks.
Right now, we're expecting this event to last about 8-10 hours, but I've been known to deliver seminars that go for 15 hours in a single day, so it might go a little longer, depending on if the audience wants to keep going.
Normally, I focus on marketing and "music business" things, so this is new for me. Mr. X is the expert at the "creativity" stuff, so he'll be the one delivering the info here. However, I'll likely add some content on the music business aspects of songwriting, just to give you an action plan you can use on all the great songs you're going to create with his method.
The admission cost: FREE
Seriously -- this is something new and we're testing the material, so we're not going to charge admission. The only thing you'll pay is a "seat reservation fee" (probably about $20) just to make sure you're serious about showing up and we don't end up with a bunch of empty seats from people who say they'll be there, but flake out on us...and keep somebody else from being in that seat.
Date will be sometime in January, so it will be a great way to start off the new year. Location will be Nashville, which will give us access to a ton of great songwriters and make it a great networking event.
My question for you...
Would you be interested in attending?
Reply below with you thoughts. Let me know the specifics you'd like to cover, any questions that you have, and more about yourself.
Looking forward to seeing you in January!